All Construction Supervisor License holders need this information, and need to take action to earn Continuing Education Credits which will be required for future renewals (read on for timing & see attached timetable)
The Board of Building Regulations has announced Continuing Education requirements for the Massachusetts Construction Supervisor License. Licensees must provide proof of completion of required hours for every two year license cycle.
There has been some confusion and mis-information regarding the timing of the continuing education requirements.
- If your next license renewal is between now and June 30, 2013, you will NOT need to provide continuing education hours when you renew next.
- For license renewals July 1, 2013 and after, you WILL need to provide proof of continuing education (credit hours) at the time of renewal in order to be granted a renewed license. Ex: If you renewed your license on July 1, 2011, you will need twelve continuing education credits when you renew July 1, 2013.
Note: Taking any courses now will "count" toward the first time you need to provide these credits. Courses must be pre-approved for credits and will indicate that when you sign up and attend.
* Construction Supervisors License/ "Unrestricted": 12.0 Hours*
* The One and Two Family Dwelling ("Restricted") License: 10.0 Hours*
* Every Two Years at Renewal (see above dates)
Of the required hours, there are five mandatory topics, with a minimum of one hour required in each:
1. Code Review
2. Workplace Safety
3. Business Practices
4. Energy (except Demolition Specialty License)
5. Lead-Safe Practices (only first renewal cycle)
To earn the required credits (CEUs), licensees must take courses that have been pre-approved by the state. The BBRS deems that approved courses must "impart appropriate and related knowledge in the regulated industries." Students must attend classes in their entirety in order to receive the approved credits.
HB&RACC (Home Builders & Remodelers Association of Cape Cod) has been approved as a course coordinator by the Mass. BBRS. HB&RACC has already begun to offer programs that earn continuing education credits, and will continue to do so, offering multiple opportunities to earn all of the required hours at locations across Cape Cod.
WARNING: Many organizations and business are advertising courses for CSL credits, both on-site and on-line. It is only through BBRS approved course coordinators that you can earn approved CSL credits. Make certain the instructor and the course has been approved before registering. Call HB&RACC if you are not sure.
We are committed to keeping you and your colleagues well-informed on this and other important issues. HB&RACC will email you information about classes and dates when our approved classes are offered, We provide certificates of the credits earned and we will keep track (of the classes you take with us) in case you lose track.