The Board of Building Regulations and Standards (BBRS) approved certain changes to construction supervisor license continuing education requirements as part of the Ninth Edition of the State Building Code (780 CMR). The changes, which are appended to the end of this document, go into effect on January 1, 2018.
This document is issued in order to answer general questions about the continuing education process as well as questions specific to the ninth edition changes.
The major changes have to do with: • Acquiring credit on-line; and • Required educational content. If, after reading the questions and answers below, you remain unclear as to any part of the process, please feel free to contact Kimberly Spencer @ Kimberly.Spencer@state.ma.us or Robert Anderson Robert.Anderson@state.ma.us for further assistance.
1. How do I know how many CEU’s I need? I have an Unrestricted License (CS-xxxxxx) 12 CEU’s I have a Restricted License (CSFA-xxxxxx) 10 CEU’s I have a Specialty License (CSSL-xxxxxx) 6 CEU’s regardless of how many specialties (Masonry; Roofing; Window/Siding; Demolition; Solid Fuel; Insulation)
2. Have these requirements changed in the Ninth Edition? No, the requisite number of education hours remain the same in the Ninth Edition. However, required course content has changed. Previously, only one hours of code review content was required. This requirement is increased to 4 hours for a CS (Unrestricted License) and CSFA (Restricted) license and is increased to 2 hours for and CSSL (Specialty) licenses.
3. When do I have to complete the CEU’s? You will receive a renewal form approximately 60 days before your license expiration date. It is recommended you complete the required CEU’s by this time. You will need to attach a copy of any certificate(s) received showing you completed the required CEU’s to your renewal form.
4. Where can I find a list of courses that have been approved by the BBRS? On the Office of Public Safety website - Click on ‘Construction Supervisor License’ then click on ‘CSL Continuing Education Courses’. ALL COURSES LISTED ON THE WEBSITE HAVE BEEN APPROVED
5. Are ON-LINE courses available? Yes. On-line courses as well as classroom are available. Check the Office of Public Safety website by clicking on ‘Construction Supervisor License’ then click on ‘CSL Continuing Education Courses’.
6. Will I be required to pass an exam to complete an on-line course? Yes. You will be required to complete a final exam plus periodic exams throughout the on-line course. This is a change with the Ninth Edition that will become effective January 1, 2018.
7. Can all required CEU’s be completed on-line? No. You may complete up to a maximum of 6 hours via on-line training. The remaining hours must be completed through in-person, classroom training. This is a change with the Ninth Edition that will become effective January 1, 2018.
8. Is there a specific date when licensees can no longer submit a 10 or 12 hour, all on-line course? Anyone who registers for a 12 hour or 10 hour course by December 31, 2017 will have 6 months to complete the course and submit a certificate of attendance. All courses must be completed by June 30, 2018. Courses taken on or after January 1st will be subject to on-line\in-class requirements
9. Are there specific topics that I am obligated to take? In addition to the code review requirements, of 4 hours for CS and CSFA and 2 hours of for CSSL, licensees must also take at least 1 hour in each of the following topics. • Workplace Safety • Business Practices / Workplace Safety • Energy (except Demolition Specialty License) • Lead Safe Practices (only first renewal cycle)
10. I have a CSSL license do I have to take in-person, classroom training? No. You may complete up to a maximum of 6 hours via on-line training.
11. I already attended a course. How do I know if it has been approved? You should have received a certificate of completion with course number listed on certificate. (All courses begin with a CS-xxxx). Check the office of Public Safety website by clicking on ‘Construction Supervisor License’ then click on ‘CSL Continuing Education Courses’.
12. I have the certificate of completion; Now What? Keep the certificate and return a copy with your CSL renewal form.
13. I already sent my certificate in; do I have to submit another with my renewal form? YES, a copy of your certificate will need to be sent in with your renewal form.
14. I cannot find my certificate; what do I do now? Call the Coordinator or instructor and request another certificate.
15. How often do I have to complete the required CEU’s? Every two years when you renew your license. 16. When should I take the required courses? Within your two year renewal period and complete by the time you receive your CSL renewal (60 days before your expiration date).